How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 144, May 24: The Letter P

 A parabola.
Some Favorite Words
That Start With P
Paavo Nurmi: A fantastic Finnish distance runner of the early 20th century, I was fascinated as a kid by him and his cool name. He competed 12 times in the Olympics between 1920 and 1928, winning nine golds and three silvers.
Pabst Beer: One of my dad's favorites when I was a kid, it's also an integral part of a hilarious story told by my brother-in-law Wayne. Ask him about it sometime.
Palo Alto, Calif.: One of my favorite cities for dice and dart tournaments, it's also the home of Stanford University. The name is derived from a strand of redwood trees.
Parabola: Another great sounding word, it was about the time we learned about this in math when I started to get lost.
Pat: A good friend from my early TH days, he moved to Florida, but we still keep in touch. "Pat" also was one of the 
best characters ever on SNL.
Perpendicular: Another neat-sounding mathematical word that I didn't really appreciate in junior high.
Persnickety: How can you not like this word? It means to be picky or fussy about small details.
Peter: The Rock among the disciples, he was someone you truly could admire and empathize with. If someone as faithful as Peter could deny Jesus three times, how hopeless we are without our savior's death. 
Potawatomi: An Indian tribe in the Michigan/Wisconsin area. They were part of Tecumseh's War (Tecumseh is one 
of my Top 10 favorite Indians).
Prayer: I say one every night before I go to sleep, as well as little ones of thanks throughout most days. When I pray for something, I try to ask for strength to accept His will, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment