How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 128, May 8: Tabby's Gone

My Top 10 Memories
of My Favorite Pet
Tabby is gone. We don't know where he went. The last time I saw him, he was in the kitchen looking forlorn. When Shawn came home from school for the weekend two hours later, he was missing. We've searched everywhere in the house. There was no opening for him to get out. It's a complete mystery, but it's been more than two days now, so I'm sure he's gone - a month before his 18th birthday. He's worth devoting a complete blog post to, that's for sure.
1. The survivor: He had more than nine lives. His surviving many close calls after the loss of my first wife, Jane, was a huge benefit to my two teen sons.
2. The loyal friend: Tabby was great support for Jane as she suffered through breast cancer. He also was there welcoming Kris into our lives. Kris will miss him.
3. The fighter: This cat could fight. I had to wear gloves. Just when you thought he'd had enough, he turn around and come back for more. And, you wouldn't want to be a dog straying into his territory! He'd attack.
4. The hunter: It's been several years since he hunted, but he was a pro. Stealth is a good word for him as he lay prone for many minutes waiting to pounce after a squirrel or rabbit. He'd even run halfway up a tree before realizing he didn't have front claws. Panic would set in as he scampered would.
5. The show-off: The times he captured his prey, he'd often bring them over to show us. At least a couple of times, a bunny or chipmunk was brought INTO the house for us to see.
6. The cuddler: Like most cats, Tabby would love to jump up and snuggle. His favorite move was to jump on a chest and start pawing your neck. I'd make funny gag noises sometimes.
7. The all-nighters: As a younger cat, he's sometimes stay out all night. This was not something we encouraged. It just happened.
8. The snot: Almost everytime he stayed out all night, he'd show up outside my bedroom window at about 4 a.m. and wake me up. Then, since he'd get yelled at or swatted, he eventually would make me run after him when I tried to let him in.
9. The big poop: As a youngster, he'd often poop in Jane's garden. In recent years, he just pooped all the time, occasionally on the floor (hey, it was a long walk downstairs to his litterbox)
10. The King of Hill Street: The past year or two, he's been spoiled by all of us. Old age and diabetes slowed him down, so we let him live high on the hog. He earned it as this man's best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment