How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 124, May 4: A Swenson Ate What??

My Favorite
Foreign Foods
I come from a family where meat & potatoes & vegetables was 70-80 percent of our diet. My dad was just a very fussy eater, so that's what we became. I mentioned in my March 9 blog that I didn't even eat pizza until I was 18. Well, I was in my 20s before I ate any Mexican or Chinese food. So, to be able to even come UP with 10 foreign foods I like is a huge milestone for my side of the Swenson family. (I couldn't come up with 11, btw :-)
1. Mexican: My favorite is a plate that includes a burrito, tostada, rice, beans (no oninons!) and a frozen Marquerita on the side.
2. Greek: Or should I say a gyro? I can't say I've tried a lot of other Greek food, but I sure do love gyros (and fries).
3. Chinese: Almost any kind of chicken with dark rice, but I especially like sweet & sour. Don't like the vegetables, though.
4. Italian: Lasagna with lots of meat or, of course,
any number of pizzas.
5. Mongolian: These new restaurants where you fill up a bowl with your ingredients and watch the "chefs" fry it on a big oven
have some really good food.
6. German/French: Kris and I ate at a place called Fritze & Frites in Galena, Ill., on our anniverary. I mixed the (German) Sauerbraten (beef marinated in sweet & sour) with (French) Frites!
7. Japanese: Doesn't seem too different to me than Chinese, but it's fun watching the chef fix the meal and play with fire.
8. Norwegian: Again, haven't tried much (surprisingly). Like the meatballs, lefsa and krumkake (not the lutefisk - uffda!)
9. Indian: Dubuque's new Hot & Spicy has a couple of main dishes I can handle, but I especially like the nan bread.
10. Afghanistan: Kris and I ate at the Kabul restaurant on State Street in Madison once. I believe I had the Qabuli Murgh (chicken),
but it was too spicy, so I traded with Kris.
She loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment