How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 137, May 17: The Letter I

Some Favorite Words
That Start With I
Idaho Falls, Idaho: I lived there as a sports writer (The Post-Register) for a year-and-a-half in the early 1980s. Loved the state. Who wouldn't, with views like the one above.
If: A small word that can carry a huge impact. I try hard not to follow it with "only I had ..." I prefer, "if I do this, I can then ..."
Igloo: Great word, unimaginable docile. But I enjoyed making little ones out of snow when I was young.
IKEA: A Scandavian home furnishing chain with HUGE outlets. I was so amazed, I devoted a column to them. Kris loves these stores.
Imbecile: It seems like a more sophisticated word to use instead of another "i" word, idiot. In either case, restraint should be considered before using either.
Impish: Doping naughtily or annoyingly playful things. People who know me would say I lean toward the annoying.
Incredible: I overuse this word, most often when something incredibly bad happens to me. I'm trying not to use it as often because, bad things are just a part of life - they're not incredible.
Indians: It's sad how we've turned this great and noble word into a derogatory one. But we have, so I show restraint before using it.
Incaviglia, Pete: A great baseball name, this guy was the No. 8 overall pick by the Expos in the 1985 draft. He played 12 years for six teams, mostly the Rangers. Still holds the record for HRs in an NCAA season (48).
Indigo: A cool blue named after the blue dye from the Indigofera tinctoria plant and related species. Blue is my favorite color.

No comments:

Post a Comment