How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 123, May 3: They Were Here First

The Native Americans
I Admire Most
If I slip sometimes and call them Indians, it is out of no disrespect. I have admired and sympathized with our Native Americans from as young as I could read about them. I only wish there were books on more than the most famous 10 or 12. But I guess the ones on my list earned enough respect and admiration to be written about the most.
1. Crazy Horse: One of the most feared and athletic Lakota Sioux warriors, I could just imagine him flying around the Western prairies on his horse. Of the many tragic Indian deaths, his ranks right up there.
2. Chief Joseph: He led the Nez Perce on an incredible, but doomed, three-month trek in the 1870s toward Canada to avoid being put on a reservation. In later years, he spoke out against inequality.
3. Geronimo: One of the more intense survivors, this Apache chief was one of the last Native Americans to surrender after 25 years of eluding the military in the early 1900s.
4. Jim Thorpe: An incredible athlete who excelled in almost everything he tried. He was an inspiration not only to his Sac and Fox people, but all of America.
5. Tecumseh: A leader of the Shawnee in the early 1800s, he organized a variety of Indians from different tribes to defend their land. Died in the War of 1812.
6. Sitting Bull: I view him as the most noble of all the Native Americans on this list. He also was a great war chief 
who was admired by friend and foe.
7. Pontiac: Leader of the Ottawa in the mid 1700s, this chief led a growing and temporarily successful revolt in the Great Lakes region.  
8. Black Hawk: A War Chief of the Sauk in the Wisconsin/Illinois area, Black Hawk fiercly battled the white man in the early 1800s.
9. Sacajawea: The only woman on my list, she was an able traveler with Lewis & Clark during their famous trip west in 1806.
10. Chief Gall: A leader of the Hunkpapa Lakota, he was a primary participant at the Battle of the Little Big Horn. His photo is the epitomy of a proud Native American of his time.

No comments:

Post a Comment