How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 143, May 23: The Letter O

Some Favorite Words
That Start With O
Ocala: A neat-sounding city in Florida that has 53,491 people. The name is derived from a Timuca village called Ocale, which means "big hammock." A relaxing town, I'm sure.
October: One of my Top 2 months, I love how it's warm enough to do things outside, but cool enough to often require a sweatshirt.
O'Jays: One of my favorite black groups of the 1970s, they had hits such as "Love Train," "Backstabber" and "For the Love of Money."
Ole: A very popular name for Norwegian-Americans in the Civil War era. Stoughton was full of Ole's at one time - especially Ole Olsens!
Omen: I believe in them, to a point. Mostly, I just jokingly predict them at different times, and it seldom pans out.
Ominous: Nice flowing word, I hear it used with the the word "clouds." (I found it interesting that the word prior to this one in the dictionary was "omicron," the 15th letter of the alphbet.)
Opie: Andy Griffith's son, he was portrayed by Ron Howard. The younger Opie - like the younger Beaver - was better 
than the older Opie.
Orangutan: Fascinating word and animal. I love watching them in the zoo, though zoos sometimes makes me sad for the inhabitants.
Oreo: A cookie I loved as a kid. I still like it, but it's dropped a bit in my Top 10. I really need a toothpick after having a couple.
Orion: My favorite constellation, mainly because I don't know too many. But this one is so obvious and spectacular, I can't help but stare at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment