How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 120, April 30: Made-for-TV '70s

My All-Time Favorite
1970s Made-for-TV Movies
They just don't make them like they used to (maybe that's good, considering some of the many that DIDN'T make this list). But these 10 classics (not miniseries) would be of interest to even the most reality-TV-laden viewers out there. Most are dramas - some quite creepy. Going over a long list online really brought back memories. Hope older readers share in those.
Top Tier
"Brian's Song," 1970: Great and heart-wrenching story of Chicago Bears player Brian Piccolo and his friend Gale Sayers. Starred James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. Took a good look at bridging racism.
"Helter Skelter," 1976: I watched this alone one night when I was 19 and it scared the crap out of me! Steve Railsback
was incredible as Charles Manson.
"Sybil," 1976: Another one that gave me the creeps, Joanne Woodward was the evil mom and Sally Field was Sybil,
the girl with 13 personalities.
"The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman," 1974: Cicely Tyson was the famous black woman who stood up to prejudice and hate. I learned a lot of the sad truth about our history of racism.
Second Tier
"Can You Hear the Laughter? The Story of Freddie Prinze," 1979: Starring someone named Ira Angustain, I remember liking it. Looking up reviews, though, it didn't do so well.
"Duel," 1971: This intriquing horror story of a possessed truck terrorizing Dennis Weaver was done by a young, up-and-coming director named Steven Spielberg.
"Kung Fu," 1971: I liked the movie starring David Carradine
but never got into the TV series.
"The Boy in the Plastic Bubble," 1976: The true story was more fascinating to me than perhaps the acting - led by John Travolta.
"The Legend of Lizzie Borden," 1975: Elizabeth Montgomery was not the nice Samantha from "Bewitched" in her portrayal
of this murderous woman.
"The Miracle Worker," 1979: I barely remember the 1960s original, but was impressed by Melissa Gilbert's portrayal of Helen Keller. And, Patty Duke Astin - who was Keller in the first one -
did well as the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment