How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 93, April 3: Christian Songs

My All-Time Favorite
Christian Songs
I am Christian from the depths of my soul, but I try not to be in-your-face far right. And, it was only after my first wife, Jane, died that I started to really listen to Christian songs. This bothers me. But, as it is with Christ, it's never too late to convert. My collection of Christian songs still isn't huge, but it's growing. I count a couple of hymns in this list, as well, including my No. 1.
1. "Amazing Grace": It spells out perfectly how true Christianity works. We're all wretches, when it comes down to it. How could we possibly "earn" our way to heaven? It's only by the "amazing" grace.
2. "I Can Only Imagine," by Mercy Me: How will you react when you get to heaven, is what this great song asks. I'm convinced I will crawl in awe of its wonder, and my eyes will be opened for good.
3. "Oh Happy Day," by the Edwin Hawkins Singers: When Jesus comes ... oh what a happy day. And this song is so upbeat and catchy.
4. "Day by Day," from Godspell: Very similar to No. 3 in style and message. Hearing these two back-to-back is very heavenly.
5. "Traveler," by Fernando Ortega: From a CD called "Storm," this spiritual song and CD helped Jane keep her faith as she suffered from breast cancer. It still often brings tears to my eyes.
6. "Finally Home," by Mercy Me: A relatively new Christian song on my Top 10, it's just beautiful. I yearn to finally be home, but try to be the best that I can as I await the call.
7. "Give Me Jesus," by Jeremy Camp: Very emotionally strong song of faith and devotion.
8. "Morning Has Broken," by Cat Stevens: Also a hymn at church, it's a wonderful praiseworthy song to God for his creations.
9. "I Have a Dream," by ABBA: The chorus of "I believe in Angels, something good in everything I see" is a sprititual goal I strive for but usually fall short of attaining.
10. "How Much," by Mandesa: Given to me by TH Religion page columnist Alexandra Armstrong, it's very catchy and comforting to be reminded of how much we are loved by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment