How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 104, April 14: The Youth

Some of My Favorite
Boys I've Coached
Through more than 30 years of coaching youth sports - with a few breaks here and there - I've had the privilege and pleasure of dealing with hundreds of youngsters. I coached girls only three years and they were in junior high. My level I love most is the 8-10 year olds. Here are just a few of my favorites (not counting my two sons, who, of course were my favorites).
Alex: A quiet and polite boy who is developing
into a very good pitcher.
Andrew: A strong young gentleman whom I coached in basketball about 12 years ago. His father died when he was a teenager.
Ben: I've coached at least five Bens (three are on my current team). All were a joy in their own special ways.
Isaiah: One of the new kids on my Little League team, he looks like he could be very good some day. Very polite and well-spoken
for a 9-year-old.
Joel: Coached him in various sports and was a thoroughly well-behaved kid. He became a national caliber spelling bee competitor.
Jonny/Johnny: Again, I've coached several. One season, it was Big Jonny and Little Jonny. I don't believe it's ever been John or Jon.
Katwaan: One of the more animated boys I ever coached, he played basketball for me when I took on a group of kids
from the Boys Club. Great smile.
Kurtis: The son of a co-worker, he had his challenges to overcome. I heard he recently has become a Christian. Wonderful.
Marcus: Was on the same team with Katwaan, he eventually became an all-conference varsity basketball player.
Neil: I consider him my third "son," he was Shawn's best buddy growing up. He's always been small, but always
spunky and very coachable.
Michael: I've had many Michaels - some were feisty, some were projects. I'll never forget any of them.
Monardo: I sponsored him in baseball three years ago. More of a soccer player, he was one of the most intelligent kids I ever coached.
Nate: We called him Big Nate because he was so much bigger than most kids his age. But he was gentle. I coached him in baseball, but he became a great basketball player, too.
Ryan: Another common name of kids I've coached, one in particular stands out from basketball. I wish I could have had him baseball, too. He could pitch!
Spencer: A very quick boy on a quick Boys Club basketball team. This was the first team I coached after my first wife, Jane, passed away. I'm sure she smiled down on me.
Tanner: Another boy on that first team, his dad helped me out a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment