How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 113, April 23: Take Me Out to ...

Fenway Park
My All-Time Favorite
Major League Baseball Stadiums
From the first time I walked into County Stadium in Milwaukee as a 10-year-old in 1967, I've been fascinated by the structures. Though many of the games I've been to over the years proved to be rather boring after a few innings, I have fond memories of the ballparks. Here my favorites from the 20 or so I've been to.
1. Fenway Park, Boston: My favorite team, I finally got to see a Red Sox game just a few years ago. Took my then 18-year-old son Shawn. The Green Monster and all lived up to my expectations.
2. Wrigley Field, Chicago: The other "old-timer," it's showing its age more than Fenway, but you gotta love the ivy walls, view of apartments and history. Maybe there'll even be a World Series there before they have to tear it down.
3. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles: The ravine it is located in is very picturesque, and there is a nice history here, too, though not near as long as the top two on this list.
4. PNC, Pittsburgh: A modern inviting and scenic park. I love how downtown Pittsburgh can be seen beyond the outfield and the small crowds allow you to move into the box seats!
5. Miller Park, Milwaukee: Compact and modern with a retractable roof. This comes in handy when you buy tickets early and have to drive four hours - no worries about rainouts.
6. (Old) Comiskey Park, Chicago: Very old-fashioned with the support beams in the outfield, it just oozed history as I sat and watched the one game I ever saw there.
7. Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City: I covered an American League playoff game there in 1981 while working
for the Fulton (Mo.) Sun-Gazette.
8. Progressive Field, Cleveland: The size alone and huge video screen are enough to make this a jaw-dropping experience. Its location near downtown is cool, too.
9. County Stadium, Milwaukee: Probably not on many lists because it was so plain, this is where I saw my first dozen or so games - including a World Series game in 1982.
10.Chase Field, Arizona: I didn't see a game there, but the boys and I ate in the outfield restaurant during a spring training trip. Looked beautiful from our perch.
Other notables: Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati; Arlington Ballpark, Texas; the Metrodome, Minnesota; (New) Comiskey Park, Chicago; Oakland Coliseum; Jack Murphy Stadium, San Diego.
Top 3 want to see: Camden Yards, Baltimore; Target Field, Minneapolis; Yankee Stadium, New York.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be at AT&T Park a week from Friday.
    I can't wait!
    One of my favorite baseball memories (modern era) is taking the girls to their first MLB game at AT&T Park.
    I had seen my first MLB game at Candlestick, and I wanted to carry on the SF Giants tradition!

    ReplyDelete