How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 116, April 26: What a View!

Wisconsin farm country, viewed from Castle Rock.
My Favorite Views
of/from Natural Sites
This is dedicated to the mountains, bluffs, rivers and oceans on God's green earth. I've seen so few - much fewer than I hope to eventually see. But, as always, I do have a list of my favorites up to now. (BTW: Kris and I are planning a trip to see the Grand Canyon in August, and that will immediately knock out one of the 10 on this list)
The Badlands, South Dakota: It's like you've been dropped onto a different planet, they are so unusual. From a distance or close up, these bad guys are jaw-dropping.
Captiva Island, Florida: Much of this island off the southwest coast of the Sunshine State resembles a jungle as you drive along the narrow roads. Its better known sister is Sanibel Island.
Castle Rock, Wisconsin: Located off the beaten path near Fennimore, this private bluff is there for the climbing. Somewhat challenging, I've scaled it 3-4 times, the most recent
about seven years ago.
Devil's Tower, Wyoming: Famous from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," there's no comparison to its awesome sight in person. And the rock climbing is great.  
Indiana Dunes State Park: When my family stopped here on our way home from a trip to Mackinaw Island, we climbed up over a ridge and I swear we had found the Sahara - next to Lake Michigan! Very cool.
Mississippi River, below Effigy Mounds: There are so many great views of the Mighty Miss in this area, but this is probably my favorite. And the National Park itself isn't too shabby either.
Pacific Ocean, San Diego: This is where I first set eyes on our largest ocean, in 1978. The waves and surfers impressed me more than my first view of the Atlantic in Daytona Beach two years earlier.
Snake River, Idaho: It really does snake around, and you can get some magnificent views of it while driving west of Idaho Falls -
with mountains in the background.
Teton Mountains, Idaho/Wyoming: Up to now, my all-time favorite natural site. They spring up majestically almost from flat ground. You can see them from both states, but the best view
is from Jackson Hole, Wyo.
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming: The only time I was there, I saw two other cars. It was the first day of a new season, and I was on my way to an interview in Idaho Falls. Imagine having this greatest of all great national parks to yourself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment