How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 85, March 26: Encore

My Most Memorable
Live Concerts
I don't go to as many as I used to - I'm getting old! - but I have a long history of attending concerts. Here are my 10 most memorable.
1. The Barenaked Ladies: Just a few years ago, I took my two sons and their friend Digger to see this band in Madison. It wasn't long after my first wife, Jane, died. The bonding
among us that night matched the fabulous performance.
2. Coldplay I: Another fairly recent event, I surprised my eventual second wife, Kris, by taking her to this concert at Alpine Valley, a famous outdoor venue in southeast Wisconsin. She was so happy. 
3. The Delfuegos: In about 1987, I took a trip to see my friend Mark in Boston. We saw part of this concert in an underground, packed venue. It was so different than any other concert I've ever attended.
4. Crosby, Stills & Nash: Friends Merry and Bill got Jane and I free tickets to see this group in Cedar Rapids. It's sad because it was the last entertainment-related night out ever for Jane and me.
5. Grand Funk: One of my first concerts as a teenager, the pre-group was Electric Light Orchestra. Saw them in Madison
and it was so cool seeing a real concert.
6. Fleetwood Mac: Probably my favorite all-time group, I saw them soon after the album Rumors came out in the 1970s. Stevie Nicks almost floated on stage and it was a mesmerizing night.
7. ZZ Top: About four years ago, my baby boomer friends Ed and Merry joined my for a stroll back to our younger days by seeing this raucous group play in Dubuque.
8. Bruce Springsteen: Not one of my favorite artists, it nonetheless was memorable seeing him in Madison in the late 1970s.
Quite the show.
9. Coldplay and Snow Patrol: Kris and I saw them back-to-back in Des Moines and it was a great concert.
10. Tom Jones: I surprised my mom by taking her to see this 1960s singer, whom she liked. She got disgusted by the women throwing lingerie at him on stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment