How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 72, March 13: Taking the Oath

My Favorite
Presidents
Being a student of history, I favor presidents from the past. Yet, had I lived during their times, I might not have appreciated or respected them. None are perfect and, true to my independent nature, there is probably a mixture of political affiliations (I didn't bother to check on each one).
1. Abraham Lincoln: A no-brainer, right? I've read enough about him to know that I would have admired him in the 1860s as our country fought it out.
2. George Washington: Being the first, he could have set a negative, egotistical tone. He did the exact opposite and the rest is history.
3. Theodore Roosevelt: I liked his firey style and toughness. He also left a lasting legacy with the national park system.
4. Ronald Reagan: Over-rated by conservatives, overly vilified by liberals, I "liked" the guy. His right-leaning views echo many of mine, as well.
5. Franklin Roosevelt: He got us out of the Great Depression and was tough during World War II. Though I believe many of his big-govt. programs are outdated and unnecessary now, they were needed at the time.
6. John F. Kennedy: I will never condone his sex life, but he was another firey and take-action president who I thought would have accomplished a lot had he not been assassinated.
7. Thomas Jefferson: His advanced thinking and intelligence had to be admired. He was another early Founding Father who set a great tone and got us the Louisiana Purchase.
8. John Addams: Ditto to Jefferson, I learned a lot about this great man from the TV mini-series.
9. Andrew Jackson: I detested much of what this man did, but I also admire him for leading the country while suffering so many personal heartaches.
10 (tie). Dwight Eisenhower: I don't know as much about him as I'd like to, but helping start desegration of schools in the South is a huge positive.
10. (tie) Woodrow Wilson: Handled the horrible World War I era well and helped establish the League of Nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment