How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 69, March 10: No Women Allowed

My Favorite
Guy Trips
The boys and I are on our second straight trip to the Big Ten men's basketball tournament in Indianapolis. (Last night, I couldn't figure out how to get to my blog, so this post is a day late :-( Anyway, I love going on trips with Kris or the family, but it's also fun to take some with the guys. Here are my most memorable guy trips:
1. Gillette, Wyo. to Milwaukee: I still can't believe I crammed into a huge RV with seven other guys in 1982 to catch the Brewers and Cardinals in the World Series. What a long weekend!
2. Baseball trip: In 2007, the boys and I hit ballgames in Indianpolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Cleveland, while also making a stop at Cedar Point Amusement Park - all in less than a week.
3. Going East: The brothers-in-law and I have a tradition of going out on the Saturday night of Thanksgiving break. In 2003, after my wife Jane died that July, we had a very therapeutic and long night 
that included East Dubuque.
4. Winter ball: Our slow pitch softball team filled a few vans and headed to the huge Poynette Winter Softball Tournament, I believe in Feb. 1980. Didn't win much, but had a blast.
5. Indianapolis: This year and last, it's been a rewarding trip as we are able to travel much better together now 
that we've all grown up a bit.
6. Spring break: I took several trips to Florida while in college and the memories blend together. I often made things tough as an immature 20-something, but have more good than bad memories.
7. Miles City, Mont.: Many of the same group of wild men that went to Milwaukee traveled to the wild west town of Miles City for a weekend softball tournament. Strange experience.
8. NFL trip: The boys, one of Jay's friends and I went to see the Packers play the Rams. On Saturday, we witnessed a near brawl outside the stadium between fans of two 
black small college football teams.
9. Idaho to California: While working in Idaho Falls, a friend of mine from Gillette - Vic - and I took a road trip through most of California and down to Vegas. Fun, but challenging with just two guys.
10. Louisville: One of the first trips the boys and I took as Jane was laid up with her breast cancer. Lots of good memories, but I think we all struggled without Mom around.

No comments:

Post a Comment