How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 82, March 23: Go Vikings!

My Favorite High School Mascots
I've Known from Covering Games
For more than half of my 32-year newspaper career, I was a sports editor or sports reporter. I covered games in the following states: Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Montana, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Wyoming. Here are my favorite mascots from those years in sports.
1. The Orifino (Idaho) Maniacs (above): Even though they were NOT named for the state mental hospital located nearby, it's too much of a coincidence to not be the legend.
2. The Belfrey (Mont.) Bats: Need I say more?
3. The Freeport (Ill.) Pretzels: The name is due to the town's German heritage and pretzel bakery.
4. The Monroe (Wis.) Cheesemakers: And, no, the athletes don't wear CheeseHeads when they play; I competed
against these guys as a Stoughton Viking.
5. The Campbell County (Wyo.) Camels: The school is in Gillette, where I worked, and nobody I know has ever
seen a camel in those parts.
6. The Shelley (Idaho) Russets: There's lots of potatoes up that way.
7. The Columbia Hickman (Mo.) Kewpies: It's so cute.
8. The Fall Creek (Wis.) Crickets:
The mascot must be so intimidating.
9. The Sheldon (Iowa) Orabs: I came across this while writing a book about tri-state area basketball. And it's NOT Arabs.
10. The Fulton Unity Christian Knights (Illinois): 
Look at the words closely and think about it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment