How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 87, March 28: Sweet!!

The Evolution of
My All-Time Favorite
Store-Bought Snacks
I am a huge snack guy. However, if you recall from my Jan. 4 posting, I stay slim because I don't overdo any snacks in any one sitting. If I buy a small bag of M&Ms from the vending machine, they will last two days. The same with a candy bar. But, as I said, my favorite snacks when I was younger are different than they are today. Here is the chronology, dividing my life evenly into 10:
Ages 0-5.4: Definitely a Tootsie Roll, and I used to make a huge mess when I sucked on them.
Ages 5.5-9.9: Nestle's Crunch bars. I remember riding my bike down to Bakken's, the corner grocer, buying one for a nickel and thinking that I was finally eating a candy bar with peanuts in it
(I was wrong, of course).
Ages 10-15.4: Do bakery goods count? While in junior high, I'd walk downtown to Fosdal's Bakery and buy a couple of Long Johns that had a pink swirl of frosting in them. Wow they were good!
Ages 15.5-20.9: Little Debbies. Even at that prime age of physical prowess and conditioning, I usually ate just one package in one sitting. My parents often packed them
into my college care packages.
Ages 21-26.4: Ding Dongs. My favorite Little Debbies - the thin brown ones with icing in the middle - were taken off the market
so I rebelled.
Ages 26.5-31.9: M&Ms. They've always been there and always will be. But two young sons joined in on occasionally "drafting" colors from a bunch laid on the table as we shared them together.
Ages 32-37.4: Kit-Kats. Another favorite of my sons, I grew to really like them (I split them every time before I start eating them.
Do you?)
Ages 37.5-42.9: Hershey bar. Again, this one will be with me forever. I especially remember emptying out the boys' Halloween bags and having another "draft."
This bar usually went No. 1.
Ages 43-48.4: Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies. One pack has more than I'm used to eating, but they all go down -
usually with a Mountain Dew :-(
Ages 48.5-54: Dry Roasted Peanuts. Perhaps I'm finally weening myself from sugary treats. Kind of like when I want a healthy fast-food lunch, I'll get a sub sandwich :-)

2 comments:

  1. What is with the decimal points in your age ranges? I think you better get off your health kick and eat some chocolate. Your mind needs more junk fuel.

    Further evidence? No mention of Milk Duds, Tootsie Pops, Jaw Breakers, Oh Henry! bars, Twinkies, Cracker Jack, Fritos Corn Chips, Gardner's Bakery nut-coated donuts, nor lefse. (It could be bought in Stoughton, you know.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 54 years old and dividing it by 10 makes 5.4 ... oh, all right, give me a Twinkie with some Milk Duds on the side.

    ReplyDelete