How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 68, March 9: Pepperoni?

My Favorite Pizzas
I didn't eat a slice of pizza until I was 17 years old. My dad didn't like pizza, so we never had it. But I was at my first girlfriend's house one night and the family had Tombstone pizza on the table. The rest is history, even though I don't like a lot of toppings. Here are my favorites as I discovered them.
1. Tombstone: That night at Debbie's house, I managed to eat a couple of slices along with Fritoes and Pepsi.
I was pleasantly surprised.
2. Shakey's Pizza: One of my first non-frozen pizzas.
I really liked the thin crust and sausage topping.
3. Rocky Roccoco's: A very thick style made primarily in Madison, Wis. Still one of my favorites.
4. Pizza Pit: Another Madison staple, it tasted
much better than it sounded.
5. Gillette,Wyo.: Not sure what local place made it, but our newspaper staff ordered a few and one of them had pineapple
and shrimp on it. Again, pleasantly surprised.
6. Shot Tower: A popular Dubuque spot, this place has great thick and thin pizzas. Perhaps my No. 1 of all time.
7. Town Clock Inn: Another Dubuque hot spot, just a couple blocks away from the Shot Tower. Great all-you-can-eat lunch specials.
8. Happy Joe's: A third Dubuque offering, the kids can watch the workers prepare this tasty pizza.
The owners are some of the nicest around.
9. Pizza Hut: An old reliable, and still very good.
10. Kieler Greenhouse: A little bar in tiny Kieler, Wis., if you order sausage, you get a lot of sausage;
the same with mushrooms, pepperonis ...

2 comments:

  1. I think they might one day classify our history by eras. Could do worse than break our time down as Pre-Pizza and Post-Pizza. We knew both times.

    Rocky's was special, but you failed to mention one of my favorites: mushrooms on whole wheat. Doesn't sound nearly as delicious as it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all-time favorite pizza joint was a little place down the street from us in Phoenix, Ariz., near Camelback Road and 19th Avenue. It specialized in New York-style, and it's been my preferred style ever since.
    Around here, I also like the Greenhouse pizza in Kieler.

    ReplyDelete