How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 75, March 16: Madness!

My All-Time Favorite
March Madness Games
Some of my favorites would rank among the most memorable ever. Others might be forgotten by many. But here are mine, with a special tie at No. 1.
1. Iowa 93, Okla. 91; UNLV 84, Iowa 81 (1987): The only March Madness games I've ever seen in person, I covered them in Seattle
for the Telegraph Herald. Both were breathless.
2. Wisconsin 64, Purdue 60 (2000): Not a fantastic game, but very special because it put the Badgers into the Final Four.
3. North Carolina 88, Wisconsin 82 (2005): Watched this exciting game with the boys in a restaurant above the Arizona Diamondbacks stadium during a spring training vacation.
4. Villanova 66, Georgetown 64 (1985): I don't like either, but really dislike the Hoyas. Watched this thriller with several TH sports types
at John Rezell's apartment.
5. N.C. State 54, Houston 52 (1983): I saw this amazing game in an amazing venue - a podunk sports bar in Gillette, Wyo.
6. Mich. State 75, Indiana State 64 (1979): Everyone who saw it knew we were seeing a new era of team basketball
with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.
7. Northern Iowa 69, Kansas 67 (2009): What a great, great upset for a neat smaller college. Put daring Ali Farokhmanesh on the map.
8. Duke 104, Kentucky 103 (1992): Again, not one of my favorite teams, but I watched this wild game and Christian Laettner's late shot in the TH sports department.
9. BYU 51, Notre Dame 50 (1981): Too hot from the Florida beach, I stepped into a sports bar during a spring break trip
and saw Danny Ainge's great drive to victory.
10. Marquette 67, North Carolina 59 (1977): The Badgers were horrible and I got enamored with Al McGuire's team
and savored this home-state title.

No comments:

Post a Comment