How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 81, March 22: More than just Animals?

Tabby pushing 18. He's still standing and not looking too bad for, what, 126 in human years!?!
My Favorite Pets
During the first 20-plus years of my life, we had so many pets, I lost track of them all. During the next 16, it was hardly any. The past 18, it's only been Tabby. So, it's an easy No. 1.
But what about after that?
1. Tabby: Talk about a love-hate relationship! The stories I could tell. Neither of the boys realize how much work a pet is, especially one who would qualify for the old pets' home. But, yeah, when he finally goes, I'll miss him, until ... (see No. 10)
2. Billie: A Boston Terrier who was my late father's favorite by far. He was literally an animal - man could he fight. I bloodied his nose while he bloodied my knuckles (it wasn't as bad as it sounds).
3. Chang: One of our many Siamese cats (or was it Ching?)
Either way, it was cool having several Siamese.
4. Jabbar: A mixed collie/German shepherd, or something like that.
I named him after one of my favorite Milwaukee Bucks players,
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
5. Joe: A little runt of a mixed breed, this dog liked to drink beer
and he once fell off the porch drunk.
6. Rocky: We actually owned a young, wild raccoon for a while after its mother died. My mom and late sister, Amy, loved it most and cried when it got too big and we had to let it go.
7. Bootsie: I barely remember this black and white cat who, you guessed it, had coloring that made it look like she had boots.
8. Goldfish: None of them ever lived long enough to leave an impression. Actually flushed one dead one down the toilet once, which might have scarred my two young sons at the time.
9. Mr. Ed: As pre-kindergartners, we "adopted" this huge horse - according to my mom - when we'd walk through a big field to go and stand right up next to it (she shrieked at us to get home!)
10. Tubby: I'm threatening to name our next cat this, in memory of Tabby. Whatever, I don't think I'll be able to go too long without a replacement when Tabby finally goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment