How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 57, Feb. 26: A Strike

Random Memories
from Bowling
Not sure why I thought about my bowling past this morning, but I did. And I've had some wonderful - and some strange - memories.
1. Learning the curve: My Aunt Mary (my mom's sister) was a very good bowler and taught me a 5-step approach, holding the ball up and after releasing, extending my hand out as if to off a handshake.
2. Getting some ink: Our Stoughton youth league took a bus to the state tournament in Fond du Lac and a huge bowling alley. I rolled well above my average and, with my handicap,
got my name in the Wis. State Journal.
3. My dad's F-bomb: I was about 14 and was at the Badger Bowl during my dad's regular league night. Not the greatest bowler, he missed a single pin, turned around and said the f-word. It's the only time I remember him saying it (I guess when I was 3, he said it at home and I repeated it, so he quit saying it)
4. She beat me: Dating an athletic girl in high school, we went bowling and she outscored me. I can't remember if I tried my hardest or not - probably.
5. Cruising the Square: It was common for teens to drive to Madison and drive around and around the Square. While checking out chicks one night, we almost had a carful until I blurted out "Would you like to go bowling?" Not a ladies man, I was serious. They sped off.
6. The nose-picker: A group of us newspaper types in Idaho Falls went bowling one night. One reporter had a horrible habit of picking his nose with his pinky, as he talked.
Some memories you wish you didn't keep.
7. Dubuque mixed league: Jane and I joined a league at Riverside. I ended up getting the high game and high average - frustrating the secretary who had pretty much figured he'd win both easily.
8. Dubuque men's league I: A group of sports reporters joined a league at Creslanes. Craig, a novice, fired his first ball into the gutter and onto an adjoining lane, causing our aging sports editor to almost choke on his beer while laughing.
9. Third-hand smoke: Coming home from that men's league, I brought my heavy second-hand smoke into the bedroom, causing some serious third-hand smoke to Jane.
10. Dubuque men's league II: Coming out of retirement last year with a stubby middle finger following my mower accident, I still managed to average 175 - using a 12-pound orange house ball!
My bowling socks from Kris inspired me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment