How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 50, Feb. 19: Stately

My Favorite States
Since I've reached Day 50 without missing a single one, I'm paying tribute to our 50 states. These are my 10 favorites, for a variety of reasons.
1. Wisconsin (My birth state, it's my favorite despite the messy protests going on there this week. I lean on the side of the governor - for many reasons - but can empathize with the teachers.)
2. Idaho (I lived there only 18 months, but came away in awe of its beauty. Because it's either too far to drive or too expensive to fly, I haven't been back there in more than 25 years.)
3. Iowa (My "home" for longer than any other place, I've grown to appreciate Iowans and Dubuquers. But I doubt I could live much further west than the Mississippi River, where it's mostly flat and rural.)
4. Missouri (Another "home," but only for five months. I worked at the Fulton Daily Gazette, which sold out to a competitor, causing me to be laid off. It's where I also dated my only "Southern Belle."
5. Wyoming (If I had seen only the Gillette area, where I worked, Wyo. might not be on this list. But the Teton and Big Horn mountains, along with Yellowstone Park, are magnificent.)
6. Nebraska (It's where Kris' family lives - most notably Papillion near Omaha - and it's become a great place to visit. Check out the fabulous Vala Pumpkin Patch in nearby Gretna sometime.)
7. California (I'd never want to live there, but I've visited San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego - my favorite. Covered a Rose Bowl as a sports editor and once ventured onto Blacks Beach with my friend Andy Sviatoslavsky.)
8. Tennessee (I've traveled through it a few times on the way so Florida. Just loved Chattanooga. Also visited Shiloh and Graceland during a trip about 20 years ago. Very pretty state.)
9. Illinois (Chicago is a great place to visit, and I live close enough to the tourist town of Galena to occasionally drive over. Several dear relatives live in Illinois, as well.)
10. Alaska (One of only about 10 states I haven't seen, it's the one I'd most like to someday visit, but doubt it will ever happen.)

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, it's one of the states I haven't been to yet. Otherwise, it would surely be in my Top 10.

    ReplyDelete