How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 48, Feb. 17: One for the Road

My Most Memorable Bars
Even during my biggest "drinking days," I wasn't what you'd call a party animal. And those are long gone. But during the course of my life, I've been in some memorable bars.
Here are 10 that come to mind.
The Bee Hive, Stoughton, Wis.: I was only in this tiny shack of a bar next to the Yahara River as a kid with Dad. The bar sponsored my Uncle Jim's stock car, which was painted like a bumble bee.
The Stone Hearth, Madison, Wis.: The first "nightclub" type bar I entered at a legal age. It evolved into the hottest disco in town, though I never quite got into the Donna Summer scene.
Sportsman's Bar, Stoughton, Wis.: Somewhat of a hick bar, it sponsored our slow-pitch softball team. It had a cool shuffle board.
The Red Shed, Madison, Wis.: This was my favorite State Street area bar and I'll always remember hearing the Cars' song "Just What I Needed" blaring out the jukebox one crowded night.
ABC, Orlando, Fla.: It was a chain of disco/liquor stores. My college friends and I spent time in them during a couple of spring breaks. Danced with a blonde who wondered what "state" Wisconsin was in.
Name Long Forgotten, Gillette, Wyo.: I was in it only once. You had to drive out a dusty road in the barren brown hills to get to it, and when you arrived, the dirt floor was as dusty as the drive.
The Lounge, Idaho Falls, Ida.: I believe this was the name. If not, it should have been as it featured classic lounge lizards on a stage. Had some good times with my buddy nicknamed "Danimal."
The Greenhouse, Kieler, Wis.: The popular (very popular) little bar in the little town of Kieler, just across the Mississippi River from Dubuque. Shared good times with brothers-in-law there.
The Busted Lift: Still perhaps the coolest bar in Dubuque, it's like an Irish cavern pub or something, with rock walls and low ceilings.
Seen some great music there.
Isabella's: Downstairs of a 100-year-old home, this quaint spot was mine and Kris' favorite. It was long and narrow, and featured eclectic performers. It closed a few years ago :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment