How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 49, Feb. 18: Furniture Faves

My Favorite Furniture
of All-Time
I apologize to any piece of furniture I might have forgotten on this unusual list.
1. A used maroon recliner: We got this from Jane's aunt Jane and kept it downstairs at our home on Napier Street. I spent a lot of comfortable, reflective hours in it - many with
my young son Shawn or Tabby on my lap.
2. A bright blue couch: This gawdy thing came with an apartment I rented in Idaho Falls. A great conversation piece, this couch was big enough for me to get lost in.
3. Kris' antique RCA Victor (above): I thought it was cool the first time I saw it in her house. About four feet high, this brown radio now stands proudly and perfectly in our 100-year-old Hill Street home.
4. A multi-colored Ottoman: One of the many wonderful items donated to my family when Jane was fighting cancer, it's still with me today. I thought it was an over-sized footstool;
never heard of an Ottoman before.
5. Our bed: Kris and I splurged for a new bed a couple of years ago, partly to perhaps help a bad back I have. It's kind of worked, but more importantly, it's helped Kris and I bond - with Tabby sometimes, too!
6. Bunk beds as a kid: How cool was that? We got them as pre-teens, my brother and I, and we took turns sleeping on top and bottom. I listened to many a Milwaukee Bucks game on the radio,
in the dark, in my bunk.
7. Flat-screen, HD TV: It's not huge and it's sort of hidden in the "clubhouse," but the couple of years we've had it, I've marveled at the picture during games, movies and nature programs.
8. Dad's desk: He made me a desk for a future office in a future home. I transported it to Wyoming with me, but regrettfully sold it when I had to move farther west to Idaho.
9.  College bean bag chair: It was as blue as the couch I had in Idaho Falls. I ended up not using it that much, but it felt cool to be hip and with the times for a change.
10. The dresser: I've had the same dresser from my first marriage for more than 20 years now. Its big mirror, side shelves and decaying drawers are a part of me. But I'm glad Kris and I
are getting a new one soon to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment