How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 51, Feb. 20: Ballplayers

My All-Time Favorite
Baseball Players
Guess I've got spring training fever. Most of these became my favorites while I was still young and impressionable. But some in the past couple of decades showed a love for the game and loyalty to a team that impressed me, as well.
1. Tyrus Raymond Cobb, Tigers: When I read about him as a 12-year-old, I was mesmerized. What a talent, what a terror. I know his bad sides, but you can love a ballplayer
and still be disgusted by the man.
2. Carl Yastrzemski, Red Sox: Only 10 when I first heard his name in 1967, I loved his name and his game. Add Conigliaro, Petrocelli and "Boomer" Scott ... and you've got a Red Sox fan for life.
3. Lou Gehrig, Yankees: I know, how can a lifelong Sox fan rank a Yankee No. 3? This man was amazing - on the field and off.
I feel lucky to have just read about him. 
4. Kirby Puckett, Twins: How could somebody with a body shaped like his be such a versatile athlete? You knew how much he loved playing every day he stepped on the field.
5. Wade Boggs, Red Sox: Mr. Consistent, he reminded me of a modern-day Cobb the way he could spray hits around. Went downhill late in his career. Always had his wife fix him chicken on game day.
6. Cal Ripken Jr., Orioles: Anyone, in the modern era, who could beat Gehrig's record for consecutive games must be admired. And loyal? I'd be proud to be an Orioles' fan for this guy alone.
7. Willie Mays, Giants: The Say Hey Kid was another super athlete - the best ever in baseball? - who also loved the game. Too many players these days are in it mostly for the money.
8. Babe Ruth, Yankees: He was just too good (pitching too!) and too flamboyant to not make almost anybody's
Top 10 list of baseball players.
9. Albert Pujols, Cardinals: As you might tell by my list, I'm not enamored by today's ballplayers. But Pujols is as good - and as classy - as they come (but we'll see how his salary situation plays out).
10. Shoeless Joe Jackson, White Sox: First of all, he wasn't "knowingly" in the scandal. Second of all, he sounds like he was unbelievable at the plate and in the outfield.
And how about that nickname!
Honorable mention: Notice there are no pitchers in my top 10. If I had to pick a couple, it would be Bob Gibson, Cardinals, and Walter Johnson, Senators. Both awesome in their eras.

No comments:

Post a Comment