How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 207, July 26: A Good Catch

My All-Time Top 
Favorite Catchers
Not too many make it into the Hall of Fame. The position just wears people down and the stats follow.
1. Carlton Fisk, Red Sox: I list him with my favorite team, though he played many years with the White Sox. Great player, nice guy.
2. Johnny Bench, Reds: I'd pick him the all-time best, though most go with Yogi Berra. Bench was awesome offensively and defensively.
3. Yogi Berra,Yankees: Solid, dependable player and a great quote machine.
4. Roy Campanella, Dodgers: Tragic accident at age 37 cut short his career, which was highlighted by many superb statistics.
5. Josh Gibson, Negro Leagues: The little I've read about Gibson makes him sound unbelievably good.
6. Ivan Rodriguez, Tigers: Still playing, his longevity and talents earn him a Top 10 listing in most rankings (No. 1 in one I found).
7. Mike Piazza, Dodgers: Struck me as being very cool, he also was a great all-around player.
8. Joe Torre, Braves: Again, played for others, but I think of him in Milwaukee. Great player and guy.
9. Mickey Cochrane, Athletics: Not a whole lot of power, but had a .320 career average - best ever for catchers.
10. Gary Carter, Expos: The best of the rest to fill out this list. 

2 comments:

  1. Nope. Read it twice and there's still no Ted Simmons on it. How come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted was on a few lists I checked, but I just wasn't as enamored with him as I was with G. Carter (remember, I'm not really a Brewers' fan; Red Sox all the way)

    ReplyDelete