How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 185,July 4: God Bless America

 10 Things I Love
About My Country
1. Freedom of Religion: I empathize with people in countries who don't have this freedom. I'm sure their faith is tested.
2. Freedom to Not Believe in God: I feel bad for these people because I believe in my heart they are missing a chance at eternity. But it's their American right.
3. Deep Down Good: For those who complain and rip on our country (their right!), I ask them to look at how much money and time we spend helping other countries. It's more than any other place on the planet.
4. Freedom of the Press: Maybe this should be higher, considering my job as a newspaper features editor. But I am not always pleased with my profession.
5. Patriotism: Many (most?) Americans - conservative or liberal - are proud of their country and show it on this day more than any other.
6. The Beauty: There are so many fabulous place to visit, I doubt I'll ever find time or money to visit them all.
7. Pursuit of Happiness: Again, regardless of how tough some people say it is to prosper, the right is there for those who work hard. Yes, luck, socio-seconomic situations and breaks play a part in it, but it's possible. Why would so many move here?
8. Far Right and Far Left: If it wasn't for these two factions, important issues might be swept under the rug. We're lucky that extreme views can be aired so that those of us more in the middle can ponder them.
9. The Freedom of Assembly: Again, regardless of your persuasion, this is a wonderful thing about America. Without it, the Tea Party never would have started and - like it or not - a serious discussion on our debt problems might have been delayed until it was too late.
10. Our History: So many great men and women have been born in America and left their marks on the world. I am proud to be their countryman.

No comments:

Post a Comment