How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 196, July 15: Live, from Dubuque!

 My Favorite Live Concerts
By Not So Well-Known Groups
While Living in Dubuque
Just got back from The Business, a Chicago-based group that was playing at the second Dubuque ... And all That Jazz. Wow! I know I have three beers in me, but its disco-related medley was awesome. "Car Wash" alone would have been worth the price of admission (free), but The Business added a Michael Jackson tune and a couple of other recognizable tunes that I just can't remember the names of right now. It's a fact of life, but most of these came after my first wife, Jane, died because before that, we were raising the boys and didn't have as much time to go out and see concerts.
1. Wayne Hancock: Kris and I saw this country singer right up front at one of the many outdoor Dubuque "fests." He was so cool, so much like Hank Williams. It caught me by pleasant surprise and I even bought one of his CDs.
2. C.J. Chenier: A zydeco group, its use of an accordion reminded me of Stoughton. The All That Jazz concert just a week or two after Jane died was the first time I smiled in months. Music can be a healer.
3. House of Large Sizes: I went to this concert with Tim Manning, a friend at work. Very loud. Very hard rock. But creative and catchy.
4. The Bent Scepters: Early in our friendship, Kris and I were just hanging out downtown on a Saturday night and were invited to a birthday bash in the warehouse district. This Iowa City band rocked!
5. Gaelic Storm: Two of its concerts stand out. The first time I saw them was with my good friends Bill and Merry. Then, a year or two later, I organized a tribute to Jane and invited about eight of our best friends to see them perform outside at Loras College.
6. Andrew Bird: An eclectic singer with unusual instruments, he performed at the Grand Opera House for Kris, me and a few hundred others.
7. Okham's Razor: I honestly don't remember who I was with the first time I saw this mellow duo, but it left a great impression. I also have a CD by them.
8. The Business: Tonight's effort moved the eight-person group - full of horns and keyboards - into my top 10.
9. Orquestra Alto Maiz: I've seen this Chicago salsa group several times at All That Jazz and they always put on a good show.
10. The Salsa Band: The local version of No. 9, this group used to play at one of Kris and my favorite local joints, Bartinis. They did a great version of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps."

No comments:

Post a Comment