How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 186, July 5: Old Movies

 My Top 10 Films
From the 1930s-'40s
While researching, I was surprised to find that I didn't like as many movies from these decades as I thought I would. Of course, there are many that I haven't seen, so there's time to add to this list.
1. "Sergeant York," 1941: Wonderful film based on a true story (those always sit well with me). Gary Cooper, as Alvin York, was perfectly cast.
2. "Grapes of Wrath," 1940: Another movie that looks at a piece of our history, this one really puts you in the Great Depression. Henry Fonda and Jane Darwell (Ma Joad) were awesome.
3. "The Wizard of Oz," (1939): This would have been No. 1 on this list a few years ago. (Maybe I've seen it too often, too.) Definitely one of my favorite "musicals!"
4. "All Quiet on the Western Front," (1930): This one tied for 6th with "Sergeant York" on my Favorite War Movies (April 4 post). 
5. "Monkey Business," (1931): It's a close call with several other Marx Brothers films, most notably "Duck Soup," "Horse Feathers" and "A Day at the Races."
6. "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," (1948): Probably my favorite Humphrey Bogart movie, just beating out No. 7 on this list.
7. "Casablanca," (1942): I know, I know ... should be higher. At least it made my list, more than I can say for "Citizen Kane" and "Gone With the Wind."
8. "It's a Wonderful Life," (1946): Ditto No. 6.
9. "The Best Years of Our Lives," (1946): Really shows what it was like - even in World War II - to come home from war.
10. "Modern Times," (1936): A Charlie Chaplin film that really left an impression more than causing laughs.
Honorable mention: "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," (1939) and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," (1937).

1 comment:

  1. Classics, they have a way of capturing your mind with the level of acting ability required back in those days as well as the way films were created as well. My Mom really gets the credit, she is the one who turned my eyes to the classics when I was very young and ever since I have been fascinated by the collection of variables that goes into older films. I was thrilled when I found out that the company I work for, Dish Network was buying Blockbuster. Now we have access to so many older movies with no late fees or due dates giving me a way to have access to the older classical films I enjoy so much.http://bit.ly/jP1NIT As someone who still has both my parents around and married I have the joy of sharing classic films with my Mom because my Dad has never been into movies. So, that is something I can share with her and in a way give back since I know she would rather watch a film with someone who appreciates the beauty of a classic. There are definitely other joys I share with my Dad, hey a nice quite afternoon in the beauty of nature with a fishing pole and some tackle.

    ReplyDelete