How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 184, July 3: Getting to Second

My Favorite 2nd Basemen
of All-Time
This list includes more eras and than my first basemen list of June 28. I learned that few 2nd basemen in history have gone on to excel past age 34 - Lou Whitaker, of the Tigers - being a prime exception.
1. Joe Morgan, Reds: A class guy and fantastic player, I also loved him in his prime as an announcer on ESPN Sunday night baseball alongside Jon Miller. He had one of the most unique batting styles ever, but I can't find any video of it to share.
2. Ryne Sandberg, Cubs: He just beats out Nos. 4 and 5. As classy as Morgan, Sandberg was amazingly consistent. He deserved the managerial spot vacated by Lou Piniella last year.
3. Rogers Hornsby, Cardinals: He was the Ty Cobb of the National League in the 1910s and '20s. During one five-year stretch (1921-25) he batted .402!
4. Rod Carew, Twins: My first American League player! Almost the opposite of my favorite 1st basemen. Carew was so cool, and his slap-hitting style reminded me of Cobb.
5. Jackie Robinson, Dodgers: Maybe he should be up higher, but I never saw him play and I haven't read as much about him. He deserves all the accolades he's received over the years, but he's just No. 5 for me.
6. Napolean "Nap" LaJoie, Indians: His name is classic enough, but he also had a .339 career batting average and fought tooth-and-nail (not quite literally) with Cobb for batting titles.
7. Roberto Alomar, Blue Jays: Another very consistent and strong 2nd baseman who could do it all.
8. Lou Whitaker, Tigers: He moved up a couple of notches after I learned about his durability.
9. Jeff Kent, Giants: I've heard he wasn't liked by everyone, but you had to like his determination and abilities.
10. Craig Biggio, Astros: Along with Jeff Bagwell at 1st, he was a formidable offensive threat. (Honestly, I just checked and noticed that Bagwell was my No. 10 1st baseman!)

3 comments:

  1. Robby Thompson was always one of my favorite Giants' second basemen.
    He played 11 seasons, all for San Francisco, and formed part of a great infield with Will Clark, Matt Williams and Jose Uribe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you as I listed McCovey and Kent. The Giants definitely have had a great history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe Gumby Gantner didn't make your list, but you were probably pulling for the Red Sox over the Brewers even then.

    ReplyDelete