How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 189, July 8: Shortstops

My All-Time Favorite
Shortstops
Good mix of American and National leagues here, with a slight edge to the AL and the past.
1. Cal Ripken Jr., Orioles: The endurance, the class and the talent all combined to make him my No. 6 all-time favorite player 
(see Feb. 20 post).
2. Robin Yount, Brewers: He broke into the majors at age 18. I was only 16. It was amazing to think somebody two years older could do that. He was an old-school, hard worker who also played a lot of outfield.
3. Honus Wagner, Pirates: A superstar from the early 1900s, he and Ty Cobb met up a memorable 1909 World Series. He won eight NL batting titles and hit .329 for his career. Famous for an old baseball card, too.
4. Rico Petrocelli, Red Sox: The starter on the 1967 World Series team that set the stage for them being my favorite team. Also had Yastrzemski, Conigliaro and Lonborg, to name a few.
5. Ernie Banks, Cubs: Hit 512 home runs and oozed enthusiasm for the game. His biography is on deck behind the Willie Mays book I'm reading right now.
6. Luis Aparicio, White Sox: A great baserunner and slap hitter, I just have fond memories of him from the 1960s and early 1970s.
7. Ozzie Smith, Cardinals: Whether he was the best defensive shortstop ever or not, he was fun to watch - those flips and all.
8. Derek Jeter, Yankees: I'm a Red Sox fan who isn't against picking particular Yankees as favorites. As Jeter approaches 3,000 hits, I admire him from afar (you'll notice A-Rod isn't on my list).
9. Alan Trammell, Tigers: He was a terrific all-around player who spent all 20 years with the same team.
10. Bert Campaneris, Athletics: Like No. 6, I have fond memories of this consistent shortstop. He once played all nine positions in a game (1965).

No comments:

Post a Comment