How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 209, July 28: No Sweat

Top 10 Most
Sweatiest Times
I like working up a sweat. It means I've done something other than sit around. It wasn't that long ago that I felt a day was wasted if I didn't at least work up a little sweat. I'm almost keeping up that goal, but not as much in my 50s. Today after work, I cut up and lugged out several wet carpets from our flooded basement. We got about 12 inches of rain in 24 hours and, though we didn't have standing water, the old, moldy carpets in our unfinished basement were soaked. And, man, did I work up a sweat! Wonderful!
1. Harvesting tobacco: Whether it was chopping, piling, stringing or hanging ... it was the sweatiest I ever got in a full day.
2. Racquetball: When I played someone my own speed, I was everywhere in those little courts. And, wow, could I work up a sweat.
3. Stacking hay in the loft: A second farm-related job. My friend, Al, will like this one. And, as bad as you sweat, you also get itchy. Ick!
4. Running on a muggy day: There have been many this such days this summer, and it's a pain because I like to run with my glasses.
5. Playing basketball in a hot gym: Don't need to say much else.
6. Taking wet, moldy carpet out of a basement: Explained above.
7. Chopping wood on a warm night: I did this often on Napier Street, especially after my first wife died. Another source of therapy.
8. Mowing on a hot day: Especially a big lawn without much shade (my lawn in Kieler).
9. Spinning: This is a class you take on a stationary bike. I took one for a few months two years ago, and it was very sweaty.
10. Raking a large lawn: Napier Street. The yard was full of trees, including several walnut trees. Ouch!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, stacking hay or straw, especially high in the mow up under that black shingle roof, was hot work. So was milking the cows on a hot, humid day. It was hot enough anyway, but they radiated body heat as you worked in between them. And football practice in August was tough on hot days when wearing all that equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only played football up to my freshmen year, but I remember being pretty hot and sweaty in the equipment in September.

    ReplyDelete