How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 201, July 20: Stuck in Right Field - Again

 My All-Time Favorite
Right Fielders
When you're a kid, the last place you want to be stuck is right field. But if I could have grown up to be like any of these right fielders, well, I would have gladly played there every inning of every game.
1. Babe Ruth, Yankees: I guess I'm just amazed by this man. He never took care of himself, looked overweight and didn't seem very dedicated. Yet, he could hit for power, average, run when young and even pitch.
2. Roberto Clemente, Pirates: As awesome a baseball specimen as there was - in the field and at bat. Tragically died young, after reaching exactly 3,000 hits.
3. Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners: A present-day Ty Cobb, who also is a nice guy. Tough combination to beat.
4. Hank Aaron, Braves: Like so many others, I probably under-rate this great player. Maybe it was he just didn't have the flair of some of my other favorites.
5. Mel Ott, Giants: Hit more than 500 home runs using a batting approach that saw him life his front foot way off the ground. Very unique.
6. Frank Robinson, Orioles: Another guy who was much better at the game than he was at catching your eye or attention. Hit for the Triple Crown in 1966.
7. Tony Gwynn, Padres: Just a hitting machine and very interesting person to listen to.
8. Al Kaline, Tigers: One of my favorites during the 1960s and 1970s. Have several of his baseball cards.
9. 'Wee' Willie Keeler, Orioles: Just a little guy who could really hit the ball. Love the nickname.
10. Sam Crawford, Tigers: Great hitter who played alongside my all-time favorite player, Ty Cobb, who also will be my all-time favorite center fielder (obviously).

No comments:

Post a Comment