How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6, Jan. 6: Covering the Beatles


My favorite Beatles' songs covered by others
1. "You Won't See Me," by Anne Murray
2. "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," by Elton John
3. "Got to Get You into My Life," by Earth, Wind & Fire
4. "Here Comes the Sun," Richie Havens
5. "Ticket to Ride," The Carpenters
6. "Wait," by Ben Kweller (with Albert Hammond Jr.)
7. "We Can Work it Out," by Stevie Wonder
8. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window," by Joe Cocker
9. "Come Together," by Aerosmith
10. "Ob La Di, Ob La Da," by Marmalade
Honorable mention (from Kris): "#9 Dream," by R.E.M.
(And, yes, I know it's Lennon, but Kris made me do it.)
Here are 10 actual covers that I'm glad I never heard:
"All My Loving," by The Chipmunks; "Drive My Car," by Sesame Street; "From Me to You," by Debbie Boone; "Girl," by Tiny Tim; "Hey Jude," by Lawrence Welk; "Help!" by Dolly Parton; "I Am the Walrus," by Jim Carrey; "Let it Be," by Chevy Chase; "Love Me Do," by The Brady Bunch; and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," by William Shatner (beam me up, John and George)

See a related blog on April 11

1 comment:

  1. Two of my favorites:
    1. Country outlaw Steve Earle covers "I'm Looking Through You" on the 1995 album, "Train a Comin'"
    2. The jazz organist Lonnie Smith takes his turn covering "Eleanor Rigby" on the 1969 album, "Turning Point"

    ReplyDelete