How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 18, Jan. 18: Civil War Battlefields

Photos: That's me next to the cannon at Shiloh in April 1987.
The Confederates in the other photo were were getting ready
for a large re-enactment of the April 6-7, 1862 battle. 

 Battlefields I've visited
1. Shiloh, Tenn. (Only the second battlefield I'd ever visited,
it included a fabulous re-enactment on a very hot day.)
2. Antietam, Md. (One of many sites I visited on my own.
It was a cool, overcast day during the offseason.
Standing near Bloody Lane ... well, it was sadly amazing.)
3. Gettysburg, Pa. (My first, it would have ranked higher,
but I was on a strange trip with a woman I barely knew.)
4. Bull Run, Va. (Took time off during a work-related seminar
 on another cold day with hardly anyone else around.)
5. Pea Ridge, Ark. (During a 1990s family trip to Missouri,
we took a detour to stop here, barely getting inside the gates
before it closed for the day.)
6. Petersburg/Cold Harbor, Va. (Another family trip, I was amazed
at how close some of the trenches were to each other
in this deadly arena.)

 Battlefields I most want to see 
1. Chickamauga, Ga. (second bloodiest battle - behind Gettysburg -
yet seldom discussed in the mainstream.)
2. The Wildnerness, Va. (I would love to get a feel
of how thick those woods were.)
3. Fredericksburg, Va. (I would love to see the ground
the Union tried to cross several times in trying to take Mayre Heights)
4. Chancellorsville, Va. (Perhaps Robert E. Lee's greatest victory
at the cost of losing Stonewall Jackson.)
Did you notice the two Civil War bullets next to the photos?
Part of my very small collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment