How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 334, Nov. 30: Short-Lived

10 Things I've Tried
That Never Took Off
I've tried a lot of different things in my life. Some have evolved into habits or hobbies, others haven't. I've always believed in taking risks - at work and in life. If you never take risks, you'll seldom fail. But if you never take risks, you'll also seldom soar or surprise yourself. This list is in chronological order of short-lived projects/ideas.
Snow skiing: I gave it a shot in high school and again in Idaho. Just wasn't up to it.
Drinking tea: For a few months in my early 20s, I drank quite a bit of tea. But I seldom touch it now.
Listen to Public Radio: There was a short stretch in my younger years when I tuned it in semi-regularly.
Playing boomer basketball: I started a league about four years ago and played for a couple. I could play pretty well, but it took too long to recover.
Playing church slow-pitch softball: Played one season about three years ago (went 6-for-6 in one game!) but it was too cut-throat for me (a church league!) and most of the teammates were younger.
Dancing: Kris and I took lessons once but didn't have fun enough to take any more.
Coaching girls basketball: When my son, Jay, was in junior high, I coached girls in his class for three seasons. I came back two years ago for one more season, but that'll be it.
Joining the YMCA: I was a member for two years when I first moved to Dubuque and took out a six-month membership two years ago. Never stuck with it.
Taking a spin class: In my most recent Y stint, I took a bike spinning class while my Achilles Tendons were too sore to run. It was fun, but I had to quit when I started coaching girls basketball!
Starting a philosophy club: I did this through my newspaper column and though it started out well, it lasted less than a year.

1 comment:

  1. Future list suggestion:
    Things That Took Off That I Never Tried

    ReplyDelete