How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day 305, Nov. 1: Women's Work?

Things I Enjoy Doing
That Women Used
to Always Do
I don't believe there is such a thing as women's work. I'm not exactly the most liberated male around, but somehow, my parents raised me to believe women are equal and should be treated with respect. To that end, I've never - in two marriages - assumed that my wife does certain things because she's a woman. We have our "jobs" that just sort of evolved.
1. Doing the laundry: Kris and I each do our own, and I enjoy folding the clothes. I also try to help carry Kris' heavier loads up the many flights of stairs when I'm around.
2. Making the meals: I'm pretty bad at this, though I do enjoy making the few meals I'm capable of doing. I try hard to do other things around the house to make up for my weakness here.
3. Doing the dishes: We have a dishwasher, so it's usually not too tough. Kris tends to wash some the old-fashioned way quite a lot. (I did them for her tonight, and I used to always do them in my first marriage.)
4. Cleaning up after meals: As often as possible, I try to do this as I know I don't prepare them often. But I tend to forget to fully wipe off the countertops :-(
5. Vaccuming: I would say this is not one of Kris' least favorite chores around the house (maybe I'm wrong). But I like it a lot and have no problem taking it on when it's needed.
6. Mopping the kitchen floor: I prefer to get down on my hands and knees to do this (which, as you'd guess, isn't often), but I like doing it more than you might think.
7. Hanging up the laundry: Kris and I don't do this, but I did it every time I was around in my first marriage.
8. Wash the carpets: Not a favorite - mainly because it tends to hurt my wrists - but I always help as much as possible the rare times it needs to be done.
9. Dusting: No, this isn't fun, either. It only makes the list because I'm willing to take my turn to do it when we really have to make the house look clean.
10. Make the bed: It's my "job" (or, as Kris calls it, the "gremlins" job, since she usually doesn't see me make it). It's part of my bigger ideal of trying to be organized. (But Kris almost always washes all of the bedding when it's needed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment