How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 309, Nov. 5: Old-Time Athletes

 My Top 10 Favorite
Athletes: 1900-1939
This one should be fun. I have several in mind, but I'll see how it turns out after some research. 
1. Ty Cobb: He's been on other posts during the year, so you know I detest his racism, but am totally in awe of his drive and talents.
2. Jim Thorpe: An amazing athlete in every sense of the word. I wish more Native Americans would rise to the top.
3. Lou Gehrig: Probably my favorite "person" on this list, he also was just a powerful man ironically taken down by disease.
4. Jesse Owens: I need to read more about him, but he represented so much in the 1936 Olympics.
5. Red Grange: Another icon I need to read more about, this football player helped give the NFL respect.
6. Babe Ruth: He changed the game with his home runs, could also hit for average and pitch. And what a knucklehead.
7. Paavo Nurmi: A fantastic distance runner, I read about him when I was in junior high. He's Scandavian! Love the name, too.
8. Jack Johnson: The first black heavyweight champion, he not only overcame racists, but he also fought in a time when matches 
could go 40 rounds.
9. Shoeless Joe Jackson: Never deserved to be banned from baseball in the Black Sox scandal. Could have been as good as Cobb had he been allowed to play past age 34.
10. Babe Zaharias: The only woman on this list, Babe was as good as most men in many sports. An Olympian and champion golfer, she ranks 1 or 2 in most respected all-time female athlete lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment