How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 304, Oct. 31: Eerie

 10 Memories
from Halloween
Not all of these will probably be "eerie," but I wanted to tempt people into reading the post.
1. State Street: I had heard about what it was like on this Madison street on Halloween night, but until I walked down it in 1977, I never imagined. I went as the Squeeze Box (a cardboard box over my head with holes for the eyes and mouth)
2. Gary Gets Beat Up: As high school juniors, five of us went out and tossed a few eggs. Well, we got chased through backyards. Four of us escaped. Gary got caught and a black eye.
3. The Creepy Old Farmer: About three years ago, Kris and I dressed up. I had a long old gray beard, overhauls and a farmer's implement cap. I hustled a couple of young women from work who didn't even recognize me, until I lowered the beard.
4. Jay the M&M: One of our first trick-or-treat experiences with our oldest son, Jay, was dressing him in a child-size M&M costume. It was very cute, though not very manly.
5. The Haunted House: Before we were married, Kris and I went to a historic home above our favorite former nightspot, Isabella's. It wasn't really haunted, but many people wore some very cool costumes.
6. Counting Coup: As the boys became old enough to carry their own bags, we'd have fun at home later dividing the candy and treats into organized piles - as father and sons.
7. Costume Party: Early in our marriage, my first wife, Jane, and I went to a real costume party. She dressed as a pirate woman and I went as a PeeWee Herman type of character. ("I know you are, but what am I?")
8. High School Party: Barely dating for the first time as a senior (I was dating a freshman), we were invited to a party (of freshmen). 
But I got my first kiss!
9. Farmers vs. City Kids: As sophomores in high school, my main group of friends once again got a hold of some eggs. But so did our farmer friends and our first cars took the brunt of it 
before we washed them off.
10. Handing Out Candy: About four years ago, I held down the fort here on Hill Street and handed out candy while Kris had to work. It was the first time I ever gave out more than 2-3 items as my old house at Napier Street never got any trick-or-treaters hidden up on our hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment