How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 240, Aug. 28: Wedding receptions

My All-Time Top 5
Favorite Wedding Receptions
Last night, we celebrated Kris' niece Kirsten's wedding to Geoff, of Toronto. The reception was at the Joslyn Art Museum in downtown Omaha. It was lots of fun dancing wildly, and it got me to thinking back to other receptions I enjoyed.
1. My first wedding: Both of my parents and all of my siblings were there, making it extra special. It was at an old-fashioned dinner club called The Dugout. My friend Kort danced up a storm, and there were lots of laughs that will never be laughed again.
2. My second wedding: My iPod was the musical entertainment, and it was a big hit. Members of three families made it, but not my late father or one sister, who felt as bad as I did about not inviting her kids.
3. Jolene & Mike's: It was a packed house at the fancy Doubletree in Evanston, where I saw what it was like for people with money. Unbelievable dinner and entertainment.
4. Julie & Wayne's: It started immediately after the wedding with a trolley ride from Platteville to Dubuque. We downed about a case of champagne. I don't remember the rest of the reception!
5. Jaclyn & Steve's: Held at a Dubuque hotel, it was crowded and loads of fun. I'm pretty sure this is the reception I added a slide on my knees across the dance floor.
6. Amy & Mike's: My late sister, Amy, and her first husband married young. I barely made it to her wedding (playing softball :( but remember the reception at the VFW (classic Stoughton spot for receptions).
7. Kirsten & Geoff's: Had another trolley ride (no champagne), and the locale was very sophisticated. I loved the Nat King Cole-like singer who strolled around, and I upheld my label as "the fun uncle."
8. Emily & Matt's: Co-workers at the TH, their wedding at the arboretum was beautiful and the reception at the country club with so many friends and colleagues was very memorable.
9. Mary Beth & Tom's: More of a subdued atmosphere as alcohol was limited (her father was a pastor). But I was the best man, and I was proud to stand up for my best friend. 
10. Cindy's & Kort's: A couple of Stoughton friends, they also had a fun reception at the VFW. Most memorable, though, was me almost fainting up front as one of the groomsmen :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment