How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 213, Aug. 1: Do Not Disturb

10 Things I Enjoy
About Staying in a Hotel
Kris and I stayed at the vintage Edgewater Hotel on Lake Mendota in Madison Saturday night. We just wanted to get away alone for a day or so, away from the kids (kitties). Here are 10 things I enjoy about staying in a hotel.
1. It's an escape. No matter where I go or who I'm with, 
it's something different.
2. The lobby/wait area. Obviously, some are better than others. But the really good ones are a sight to behold.
3. Opening the door to the room. You never really know for sure what it'll be like. Suspense can be fun - or a letdown.
4. The beds. Almost every time, I have to do a belly-flop on one 
to try it out.
5. The TV. It has to go on almost immediately, to ESPN, the Weather Channel or HBO (if they have it), as background noise.
6. The hot tub/pool area. The Edgewater didn't have one (they said I could go swim in the lake). I don't always use the pool, 
but I ALWAYS use the hot tub.
7. The air-conditioning. This weekend, it was heavenly. And, since I've hardly ever lived in a home with central air, 
it's a treat to go to a cool hotel.
8. The lounge/bar. I make use of these about half the time (more often than not, I go elsewhere for business or personal reasons).
9. The hotel help. Most often, it's Hispanic - especially in larger cities. I often can't help but think about their pasts and how they arrived 
at where they are.
10. Complimentary breakfast. Again, I don't always take advantage of it - and sometimes it's embarrassingly limited - but the good ones are another sight (and taste) to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment