How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 218, Aug. 6: Relief

My Top 10 Favorite 
Relievers of All-Time
They weren't as important in the first half of the 1900s, so all of my favorites are from more recent decades. Most of these guys played with several teams, but I list the one I remember most.
1. Dennis Eckersley, Athletics: Very dominating and workmanlike. Was a starter early in career for Red Sox. He helped me win a Fantasy Baseball League in 1988 in Kieler, Wis.!
2. Rollie Fingers, Athletics: Another dominating closer, he also had a couple good years with the Brewers. Loved his moustache, too.
3. Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox: Their current closer, he's had some great unstoppable streaks and helped the Sox win 
the 2007 World Series.
4. Hoyt Wilhelm, White Sox: One of the first real closers I heard of (he started in 1952 and played 21 years). He left an impression.
5. Lee Smith, Cubs: He's on most Top 10 closer lists and I just always admired his talent and demeanor.
6.Dan Quisenberry, Royals: Didn't last as long as the others on this list, but he was very dominant during the early 1980s. And you gotta love that name!
7. Mitch Williams, Cubs: The original "Wild Thing," Williams was fun to watch and follow.
8. Al Hrabosky, Cardinals: Probably the worst closer on my list, I enjoyed "The Mad Hungarian's" antics on the mound.
9. Brian Wilson, Giants: Their current closer, he's not only very good, he's got the darkest black beard in sports.
10. Kent Tekulve, Pirates: An odd-looking, skinny player with an odd-looking submarine style pitch. But he was very good!
Note: As a Red Sox fan, I admire Yankees' Mariano Rivera and Goose Gossage, but I CAN'T include them on my favorites' list. They shut down my team too often!

2 comments:

  1. How about a list of best named major league pitchers with at least 20 saves? I'd suggest:
    Urban Shocker
    Hooks Wiltse
    Tug McGraw
    Turk Lown
    Woody Fryman
    Dave Heaverlo
    General Crowder
    Mac Scarce
    Erik Plunk
    Billy McCool

    Honorable Mention: Sparky Lyle, Ugueth Urbina, Roy Face, Erik Gagne, Danny Graves, John Smoltz, Tippy Martinez, Ron Dibble, Mark Clear, Rawly Eastwick, Pedro Borbon, Ace Adams, Mace Brown, Hersh Freeman, Bob Grim, Red Ames, Slim Sallee, Dizzy Trout, Sad Sam Jones, Jim Bagby, Jumbo Brown, Dolf Luque, Hipolito Pichardo, Hi Bell, and Bump Hadley.

    No shortage of colorful names at that position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment, Al. I never realized there were so many fun names for relievers. My favorite on your list? Hipolito Pichardo. I believe he was on one of my fantasy team rosters at least at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete