How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 221, Aug. 9: Hurt So Bad

10 Songs That Remind Me
of Some of My Worst Times
Not sure why I'm doing this post tonight. I had a great time driving over to Potosi - with the windows down on a beautifully cool evening - to see some old, dear friends. We talked politics, life and faith - so there's no reason to think about some of my worst times. But a song came on the radio while driving home and, though I held back the tears, 
I recalled some of those worst times.
1. "Across the Universe," The Beatles: After my first wife died of breast cancer and I met another God-sent woman, I got the "Let It Be." The words, "Nothing's going to change my world," still haunt me.
2. "Talking Out of Turn," The Moody Blues: I fell hard for a Southern belle while living in Missouri, only to have my heart broken. "Talking out of turn, shot to pieces ... when will I learn."
3. "Someday Never Comes," Credence Clearwater Revival: Not quite 20, I desperately sought female companionship (not sex). The lyrics didn't make sense, other than the refrain.
4. "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," U2: Shamefully, this song was what I sang to myself during my first two years of marriage. The stress of a quick marriage and new son was faith-testing. 
I felt very guilty.
5. "Bleed to Love Her," Fleetwood Mac: Again, the lyrics don't mean as much as the significance. This song was on the last CD my first wife ever bought me, and after she left, I bled to love her.
6. "Got to Be There," Michael Jackson: As a junior high student - JUNIOR HIGH - I ached for a girl named Laurie. Her locker was near mine and I felt like I just had to be there - even though 
she never knew how I felt.
7. "I Don't Care Anymore," Phil Collins: This is a real screamer, and I remember sitting in my car - alone in God-forsaken Gillette, Wyo. - screaming along to this song. But I got through it!
8. "Angeliou," Van Morrison: Using poor, desperate judgment, I flew from Idaho to Maryland to spend a Thanksgiving weekend with a female pen pal. It was bad. This sad song was my lament.
9. "Where is the Love?" Black Eyed Peas/featuring Justin Timberlake: Popular song soon after Jane died, I often heard it in the car with the boys. "Father, father, father help us, 
send guidance from above."
10. "Make the World Go Away," Ray Price: Perhaps the No. 1 song that reminds me of my late father, who died more years ago than I can remember. But I do remember him so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment