How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 280, Oct. 7: Westerns

 My Top 10 Favorite
Movie Westerns
I'm not as big a fan of Westerns as one might think, considering that I'm such a history buff. And I've included several honorable mentions that might not be considered pure Westerns by some people, plus one special mini-series for my wife, Kris. 
1. Dances With Wolves (1990)
Great depiction of Indians and realistic events.
2. Shane (1953)
Great depiction of right and wrong, good and bad.
3. High Noon (1952)
As suspenseful as you can get. And without gratuitous violence.
4. Rio Bravo (1959)
One of the more fun Westerns and great characters.
5. 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
My favorite "modern" Western, it left a lasting impression.
 6. The Searchers (1956)
Great cinematography and story, but perhaps over-rated.
7. Unforgiven (1992)
When finally talked into seeing it, I liked it a lot.
8. True Grit (2010)
I never liked the original that much, but this one struck a chord.
9. The Wild Bunch (1969)
Awfully violent, but great action.
10. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Loved the theme song and Clint Eastwood was oh so cool.
Honorable mentions: Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (1969), Little Big Man (1970), Lonesome Dove (1989).

1 comment:

  1. Sound list. I'd have to mull over in addition:
    "Stagecoach" Kinda began adult western fare...plus the Monument Valley backgrounds...and John Wayne's big break-through.
    "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" Unlikely hero as oats for this oater.
    "The Ox-Bow Incident" This one wears well as emotion still tends to frustrate true justice.
    "Open Range" A good modern western.
    "True Grit" The original. John Wayne as big as they come, fantastic setting, and a "spitfire" of a girl who Rooster Cogburn confessed "reminds me of me."
    "Way Out West" Sort of a western...with lots of laughs.
    "Cheyenne Autumn" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" probably ought to get some consideration, too.
    Heck, even enjoyed "Quigley Down Under" for that matter.

    ReplyDelete