How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Day 303, Oct. 30: Heart-breakers

10 Heart-breaking Losses
In Sporting Events
For the second straight week, the Wisconsin Badgers football team lost games on Hail Mary passes. Both make this list of heart-breakers I've witnessed or been a part of.
1. Sportsman's to Stoughton Lumber, 1978: We had a huge lead in this city slow-pitch city tourney semifinal and I just missed a couple of shoestring catches that got by me. Nearly cried, man.
2. Boston Red Sox to New York Mets, 1986: Even though I will never blame Bill Buckner's error for this loss, it's still the toughest one I suffered through watching.
3. Green Bay Packers to Philadelphia Eagles, 2003: We had them 4th and 26! Play the stupid "prevent" defense and get burned by McNabb. Lose the game.
4. Boston Red Sox to New York Yankees, 1978: Freakin Bucky Dent. I skipped a college class to see Carl Yastrzemski hit an early homer in this extra playoff game, only to see Dent's HR win it.
5. Green Bay Packers to Arizona Cardinals, 2009. It was 51-45! Score 45 and lose! Man this was a tough one; and I missed Bible Study to watch it (God probably wanted to teach me a lesson)
6. Wisconsin Badgers to Michigan State, 2011. We were still undefeated and I thought we could win it if went into OT. But the Hail Mary bounced their way.
7. Green Bay Packers to NY Giants, 2007 (in OT). Freakin Favre. His interception on a stupid decision early in OT led to the Giants' victory.
8. Wisconsin Badgers to Ohio State, 2011: After making a miraculous late comeback to take the lead, we see another Hail Mary beat us. I was used to it by then.
9. Boston Red Sox to Cincinnati Reds, 1975. Game 7 World Series loss, after the breath-taking Game 6 win  behind Carlton Fisk's home run.
10. Wisconsin Badgers to Georgia State, 2001. A first-round NCAA tourney BB loss. We're seeded No. 6, they're No. 11. Blew a 13-point 2nd half lead to lose, 51-49.

1 comment:

  1. November 3, 1968 Mac Percival kicks a fair catch kick to win the game for the Bears over the Packers in the waning seconds. Oh, how that hurt.

    ReplyDelete