How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 294, Oct. 21: Shopping

My Top 10 Favorite
Places to Shop
First, let's get it straight - I am a guy, so I am not a marathon shopper. What I call shopping is probably "browsing" to most women (and some guys, I'm sure). If I spend 15 minutes in a place, that's pretty good. Anything longer than that is reserved for special trips or for tagging along with Kris. Finally, "shopping" for me is either a "mission" - I know exactly what I need to get - or a "browse" - I seldom, if ever, spontaneously buy anything. In no particular order:
IKEA: I have only been to this monster store about 3-4 times (always with Kris) because it's so far away. But it is really quite amazing, even inspiring me to write a column about it.
Kohl's: It's my only specific credit card, and I love getting a scratch-off deal in the mail. If it's 15 percent, I throw it away; if it's 20, I might go; if it's 30, I'm there if I need anything at all.
The World Market: There's one near Middleton in the Greenfield Station shopping center. It's very diverse and has lots of things for the guy who has some kid in him.
Dick's Sporting Goods: A new one opened in Dubuque recently in our mall, but I haven't been there too much yet. I used to go like it more (in other towns) when I and the boys were younger.
HyVee: It's our local main supermarket and, yes, I like going grocery shopping once in a while. It's fun organizing the cart 
and listening to the music.
Barnes & Noble: We don't have one of these large bookstores in Dubuque, so when I have time to visit one out of town, I really enjoy it.
Lids: A tiny shop in many malls that specializes in sports caps, it's a place I usually walk through when Kris and I are out shopping, but on our own for 30-45 minutes.
Fryes (record stores): Usually there's one of some kind of CD/DVD store at most major malls I visit and I always like perusing them.
Best Buy: I don't buy a lot of expensive techno gadgets but this place has a lot of CDs, DVDs and accessories for iPods and laptops.
Family Beer & Liquor: Yes, there IS such a place. It's in East Dubuque, Ill. It's huge, has great deals and lots to choose from. But I never took the family for a visit.
Honorable mention: Kunnert's Sports, Dubuque. A local family-owned business, it has that old-time feel to it with friendly owners 
and good prices.


No comments:

Post a Comment