How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 263, Sept. 20: 1-Hit Wonders (1972-75)

Note: TH colleague Sandye Voight is doing a feature on 1-hit wonders. It runs Sunday. For the next few days, I am doing some of my favorites - broken down in my own special way.
My Favorite 1-Hit Wonders
From High School Days
I started breaking down my favorite 1-hit wonders into decades, but as I got to the 1970s, I had to stop. Not only are there dozens of them, many from just this three-year span would rank among my all-time overall favorites. This list could not be kept to 10. But believe me, it was whittled down from a larger group. (* My "very" favorites from among these favorites!)
1972
Bang a Gong, T. Rex
Beautiful Sunday, Daniel Boone
Crazy Mama, J.J. Cale
Day by Day, Godspell
Eres Tu, by Mocedades
* Goodtime Charlie's Got the Blues
How Do You Do, by Mouth & McNeil
Popcorn, by Hot Butter
* Run, Run, Run, by Jo Jo Gunne
Thunder & Lightning, by Chi Coltrane
1973
Back When My Hair Was Short, Gunhill Road
Daisy a Day, Jud Strunk
* Dancin in the Moonlight, King Harvest
Hocus Pocus, by Focus
* I'm Doin Fine Now, New York City
My Maria, B.W. Stevenson
* Oh Babe, What Would You Say? by Hurricane Smith
Painted Ladies, Ian Thomas
* Playground in My Mind, Clint Holmes
Right Place, Wrong Time, by Dr. John
1974
* Beach Baby, by First Class
I Can Help, by Billy Swan
Jim Dandy, by Black Oak Arkansas
Kung Fu Fighting, Carl Douglas
My Sweet Lady, by Cliff DeYoung
Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo, by Rick Derringer
Seasons in the Sun, Terry Jacks
The Lord's Prayer, Sister Janet Mead
The Night Chicago Died, Paper Lace
* TSOP, by MFSB
1975
Chevy Van, Sammy Johns
Feelings, Morris Albert
How Long?, Ace
I'm Not Lisa, Jessi Colter
* Lovin You, Minnie Ripperton
Magic, Pilot
* The Last Farewell, Roger Whittaker
Third Rate Romance, Amazing Rhythm Aces

No comments:

Post a Comment