How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 247, Sept. 4: Late Night

10 Memories 
of Late-Night 
Adventures
It's getting kind of late to do my blog, but not the latest ever. It got me to thinking about my younger days and some of the late-night adventures and memories.
(Some weren't that long ago!)
1974: On New Year's Eve as a soon-to-be 17-year-old, I stayed up until midnight writing down Casey Kasem's Top 100 countdown of the year. Pretty wild, huh?
1975: My friends Don, Gary, Lyn and I spent all night playing cards - without gambling or drinking alcohol - and laughed until we cried.
1977: I believe it was New Year's Eve when I was in Disney World and watched the fireworks around midnight lying next to a girl I fell for during a college spring break trip.
1983: My friend, Danimal, and I spent some late nights in Idaho Falls, a mostly Mormon town that had limited places for wild guys like us to go to after midnight.
1985-95: Working in the TH sports dept on weekends often meant heading out after midnight to wind down, sometimes "heading East" after 2 a.m. (rarely)
1986: I spent a wonderful (and innocent) late night with my future wife, Jane, at her apartment. It was daylight savings time, so we got an extra hour, too.
1988: Jane and I joined my brother Jeff and his wife on a trip to Hilton Head, S.C. On our last night, we closed down a piano bar and I couldn't drive the first shift the next morning :-(
1997: I believe it was this year that our family went to a Brewers game and had our car broken into in the parking lot. After going to the police department, I drove home from Milwaukee - starting at 1 a.m.
2003: We brothers-in-law spent a long, fun but emotional night out (until 4 a.m.!) on the day after Thanksgiving, the year Jane died of breast cancer. It was a release for all of us who had mourned the loss.
2006: Kris and I were out on the town and learned of a birthday party down in the warehouse district. We went, saw a great band called the Bent Scepters and stayed out pretty darn late.

No comments:

Post a Comment