How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dec. 344, Dec. 10: 23-for-25

10 Things I Like
About Shooting FTs
That's free throws. The 23-for-25 was how many I made today in my back yard, in 20 degree temperatures, wearing gloves and a winter coat. I'm ready to take on anybody in a free throw contest! Here are 10 things I enjoy about shooting FTs.
1. They're easy. Once you get the hang of it, most of you could hit 80 percent.
2. It's relaxing. Listening to music - earbuds or radio - helps the mood, too.
3. They're measurable. I like to shoot in groups of 25. On nice days, I've shot as many as 100. My best effort was 96-of-100.
4. They're therapeutic. They especially helped me handle the loss of my first wife, Jane, to breast cancer. The repetitiveness was soothing.
5. You can use your imagination. I'll often imagine I'm in a FT contest or shooting the winning FTs at the end of a big game - even at my age!
6. They're seductive. Well, one time in Idaho Falls, I was shooting some and a young lady running on a track nearby came over, asked to join me and we went out on a date that night!
7. They're father-and-son. I've won contests with both of my sons on father-and-son nights at the Boys Club.
8. You can show off. I've had more than one person admire my ability to make so many in a row (my record for that is about 45).
9. They're varied. I've worked on underhand, super high and left-handed FTs. I once made 8-of-10 left-handed and 20-out-of-25.
10. Great s-k-u-n-k weapon. People tend to think they're easy in a game of skunk, but most often they choke under pressure.

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's a new one..."seductive" free throws.

    The unique thing seems to be that every player, from the stumbling dub to the millionaire pro, at some point is made to shoot this exact same shot. It can be attempted in several styles, but it gets shot in a controlled setting from a precise spot. Nobody on the court may block it or interfere with your attempt. You don't have to work your way open and receive a pass in order to shoot it. You are given the dignity of the opportunity because you were fouled. It's a remarkably civilized moment in sports.

    ReplyDelete