How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 354, Dec. 20: Family

10 Things I Fondly Remember
About My Family
We put my mom into the Nazareth House in Stoughton following a short stay in the hospital following a fall. She is not in a very good condition right now, but the assisted living is helping us feel better about her situation. I've lost my father and a younger sister. Not sure how long Mom will survive, leaving just three kids left. Time to reminisce.
1. We always ate supper together, all the way into high school. Dad didn't talk much and we were fussy far too often, but I recall the meals fondly.
2. Laughter coming out of my mom and dad. It wasn't as much as I would have liked - we often had it pretty tough - but the quality made up for the lack of quantity.
3. Our rare vacation trips, to places such as Wisconsin Dells, Black River Falls or Devil's Lake. One trip to the lake ended abruptly when sister Amy stuck her fingers in a fan. (Luckily she kept them all.)
4. Our many homes. We never lived anywhere too long, but we always turn the houses into homes.
5. Our many pets. Even tho he didn't like cats, Dad gave in for Mom and we kids. And he got to have his share of favorite dogs, too.
6. Going to friends' homes. Though my parents would inevitably play cards longer into the night than we young kids could handle - sometimes we'd fell asleep on the floor - it's a good memory.
7. My dad's whistling and my mom's singing. Dad whistled more than Mom sang, but both added some melody in a home where nobody played an instrument.
8. We four kids playing together. I was far too bossy, we'd get into fights too much, but somehow we managed to create some fun times as a foursome - until we reached our teens, at least!
9. Christmas mornings. Oh, could they be crazy. What would start as one kid opening one present at a time would quickly turn into a free for all, though with some reins still in Dad's hands. Wonderful.
10. My mom and dad showing a little affection. Very, very rare; my dad was pretty bashful. But Mom could coax him into a few smooches and hugs in front of us. We knew they loved each other.

2 comments:

  1. Looks as if you're saving your best lists for last. Poignant and mighty similar to some of my own memories. Here's hoping for many good moments to come for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Al. Same to you. Thanks for so loyally following my blog this year. It was a little tougher than I thought it would be, but once I make up mind to finish something, I almost always do.

    ReplyDelete