How's it goin?

Welcome to my lists

Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 343, Dec. 9: Smelly

10 Smells That Take Me
To Times & Places Gone By
Do you ever get the scent of something that instantly makes you think of your past? It happens to me a lot. Most of the time, it's a good scent; but not always.
Cigarette smoke: If it's a single cigarette in an otherwise smoke-free environment, it reminds me of my childhood (even tho our house was NOT a smoke-free environment)
Cinnabar perfume: Andrea, the Southern Belle girlfriend I had in Missouri, wore it (so did my sister-in-law Julie, tho I don't believe she still does)
Coffee: Again, in a small dose, it reminds me of my mom. In a large dose, it makes me a bit nauseous. (I don't drink coffee, as you might guess.)
Marijuana: Instantly, it sends me back to the Dane County Coliseum and going to rock concerts. I never smoked it, but I always loved the smell in that environment.
Newspaper press room: Reminds me of my old days in newspapers, when I used to work near the composing people which was near the press. Seldom get near the press anymore.
New house wood: My dad built a house in the country - almost from scratch - when I was 10 and I still think back to it every time I smell fresh new house wood.
Oceans: Each time I get to the ocean and smell and feel that salty breeze, it reminds me of the first time I experienced it as a college student in 1977.
Old gymnasium: No, not the locker room. I seldom smell this anymore either because most are gone. But when I do, it takes me back to the Community building at Stoughton Junior High.
Tequila: Even though I can handle it in a fruity mixed drink, this smell straight from the bottle reminds me of college and a couple of episodes I wish I could forget.
Tobacco: This is the leaf, from the field before it's turned into chewing tobacco. I seldom smell it anymore, but when I do, I'm back at Stoughton, working in the fields, sheds and strip houses.

2 comments:

  1. No mention of Fosdal's Bakery in old Stoughton? Why, you can't walk anywhere near it without those bakery smells overwhelming you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I forgot that one. Probably because I just don't walk by there much anymore. If I did, it would bring back memories of junior high when we could walk down there during lunch and maybe add a cream-filled long john to our stomachs.

    ReplyDelete